Pantone’s Color of the Year for 2020 is Classic Blue, an elegant and simple hue that is as timeless and enduring as the night sky. This tranquil shade of restful blue creates a comforting and serene feeling in the home.
Looking through images of past photo shoots we’ve created, I realized that I depend on this color a lot in any kind of setting. From entire walls to an accent lamp shade, classic blue is both restful and authoritative. Paired with orange—its natural complement—and mixed with color cousins green and aqua, it really stands out.
If deep, serene color isn’t your thing, try introducing Classic Blue or one of its more vibrant cousins in a smaller way. Textiles like a cut-out quilt in blue and white bring a lot of depth to a space in an affordable and less permanent fashion than paint or upholstery. Accents in yellow and gold add warmth to the cool blue tones of the room.
Classic Blue brings a feeling of peace and tranquility to room, making it an ideal hue for bedrooms. A navy velvet headboard is balanced by a chevron-patterned nightstand covered in (of all things!) duct tape. Large and small elements in aqua and gray add variety to the palette without disturbing the soothing aura of the room.
This navy shade implies stability and protectiveness, which may be why it’s often used for uniforms and power suits. In the home it’s a staple in traditional designs, signaling taste and sophistication but also lends its gravitas to more bohemian styles.
Classic blue plays well with most colors and casual styles. After all, what doesn’t look good with a pair of denim jeans?
Blue is a pervasive favorite for the home. Creating a stable foundation on which to build, dark blue injects creative confidence into interiors, transforming a space through unique color combinations and tonal statements. Easily applied across so many different materials, textures, and finishes, Classic Blue is a dependable color that can take you in many different directions, expressing tradition and elegance, as well as unexpected boldness.
Ready to embrace Classic Blue in your home? Whether you want a small accent piece or a statement making furnishing, here are a few of our favorites:
- Overstock Safavieh Lorna Navy Night Stand
- Bed Bath Beyond Kate and Laurel Lipton Decorative Tray in Blue/Gold
- Pottery Barn pick-stitch handcrafted cotton linen blend quilt shams
- Overstock Safavieh Madison Stella Vintage Boho Oriental Rug
- Afloral Small Blue Flower Pot
- Bed Bath Beyond Madison Park Round Pouf Ottoman in Blue
- Chairish vintage navy color by the foot
- One Kings Lane Hutson Decorative Box
- Lamps Plus Possini Euro Taylor Blue Art Glass Table Lamp
- Grandin Road Alanya Pillow
- Hygge and West DAYDREAM (INDIGO)
- Williams-Sonoma Jaipur Print Tablecloth
- West Elm Book Nook Armchair
- Bed Bath Beyond iNSPIRE Q Callie Campaign Writing Desk in Twilight Blue
- One Kings Lane Kelly Wingback Bed, Navy
© Caruth Studio